Friday, November 11, 2011

Halloween

Happy Halloween!! Okay, like last year this is a bit belated. I guess October/November are busy busy busy. We didn't go quite as nuts as last year with the Halloween bashes daily for a week. Instead, we only attended one shin dig. It was pretty wonderful that we had Ekco the night of our trunk-or-treat. The only problem was that we didn't have a costume. Fortunately, my last year's costume fit her perfectly! She was a gypsy... a girl after my own heart. We were also lucky to have Hunter and Hailee go with us. We had a great time with the whole crew...with or with out props ie: mustache, wings, wand... they got lost a bit.And no lost cows in this group. Typically my mom makes the most spectacular costumes. She made the gypsy costume which I promised to wear for years to come... this is its 3rd Halloween, 12th party. This year, however, she wasn't feeling it. So when we were at Costco and Xiana saw a Tinkerbell costume and begged if she could have it, my mom didn't waste a second exclaiming, "yes." Then we spotted this cow. It was too cute to pass up though both Brian and my dad thought it not the best idea to put him in a costume with pink.... he's actually a baby bull (or so I explained to them). Mom asked if I minded if she just bought the costumes this year. What could I say? Of course it was fine... but next year.... Still, I will admit that I was happy to see her visibly relieved that she no longer had to go down that tedious path. And Kolton was one cute baby bull... truly delicious. Our ward had a chilli, pie cook off. The food was great, the company was better, and the kids got all kinds of hopped up on candy. Does it get any more successful than that?The best part of this costume is that it's comfy and warm... very very warm.One of Xiana's friends was also a fairy and they were nothing short of darling together.And who could resist a picture as sweet as this little lamb with the baby calf (er, I mean bull)?
The kids made out like bandits. I pretended not to see when they went around the parking lot multiple times. When Brian came out and asked where the kids were I simply shrugged and turned a blind eye.On Halloween we went to Mark and Tosh's house were they fed us a delicious dinner and then we hit the streets.

A family friend brought his traditional bag of glow sticks, flashlights, and necklaces. The kids devoured them. The streets were a bit darker this year than last...I guess the neighborhood is growing older... or younger... or foreclosed.
My sil had to get in the spirit of teasing the poor baby due to his tights... bull tights mind you, bull tights, and put these wings on him. Brian wildly objected, but I'm kind of partial to him, wings or no.Our trick-or-treating crew. There is something so fabulously magical about Halloween. This strange concept of knocking on doors, saying a silly phrase, and getting gobs of candy speaks to kids in so many ways. The littles ran from door to door. Rowan's bag was his back pack and Xiana, ever the interpreter/warden, notified each candy giver that he was not, in fact, turning his back to them, but rather enabling them to give him some goods. They are a good team... they had such fun. And they repeated what will hopefully always be remembered as Halloween tradition... after all, we've been married now for 2 Halloweens... 2 years of the same equals tradition right? My dad can't resist walking the streets with us. He has to watch his girl. This year mom braved her bad knee and joined us too. There was such delight on her face as she swooned with pride watching her granddaughter. They always say being grandparents is the best job. I daresay they are right.
For breakfast that morning I made Xiana a jack o lantern pancake... you can't tell in the pic, but it is orange. Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment