Friday, October 14, 2011

Canning, canning, and more canning

My mom very thoughtfully ordered me a bushel of pairs. Unfortunately, I also ordered myself a bushel. As a result, we had three ripe bushels of pairs one day. Fortunately, it was my day off. Unfortunately, I didn't get to blog the way I wanted. Fortunately, we canned 36 quarts of pairs, and 16 pints of pear butter. Unfortunately, it took all day.
Fortunately, we did it at mom's house and Kolton cooperated.
Unfortunately, it made a big mess. In the end, I think the fortune outweighs the misfortune. The pears are sweet and the butter is scrumptious.
The following Tuesday I was so looking forward to getting some things done. Unfortunately, the forecast said freezing temperatures. Fortunately Brian hadn't left on his hunt yet. Unfortunately, there were 4 crates of tomatoes (oh wait, that's the fortunate part... I'm getting confused). Fortunately, Brian and Xiana picked and picked and picked the tomatoes (this is roughly 1/4 of them pictured here). Unfortunately, that meant I had to can them.
Fortunately Brian helped blanch them.
Unfortunately, it took all day long again.
fortunately, his garden yielded a ton of veggies including about a million jalapenos.
Unfortunately I already stuffed and cooked as many as possible and now they are smoking smoking smoking hot and I can't find any takers. We still have about 5 pounds of them.... takers anyone?
Fortunately, I also made about 3 gallons of marinara sauce to freeze. Unfortunately, it was really really really really messy which I didn't have time for because I had 100 papers to grade that week.
Fortunately, we bottled 28 quarts of tomatoes, 3 gallons of sauce, bowls and bowls of salsa, and made fresh bruchetta in bulk. Unfortunately, we couldn't get to all of them and they are, even now, starting to rot in the front room which makes me feel guilty, not guilty enough to do another batch of jars, but guilty nonetheless.
Fortunately, we didn't get buried in cucumbers this year so there are no homemade pickles in our future (oh wait, is that unfortunate?) Unfortunately, we didn't pick them soon enough and the gigantic ones are not as delicious.
Fortunately, we have a freezer full of zucchini and gave a ton away which were redeemed for some marvelous pumpkins from the Andelin's farm.
Fortunately, Brian grew a spectacular garden and we will be reaping the rewards until next year when he plants again. There is something fulfilling about having vegetables from the backyard in December. Plus, what a sense of accomplishment to feel that we are able to live so much off our own labor. Lovely. I'm grateful I have a husband who makes a garden a priority. I guess the least I can do is make canning one for me.

1 comment:

  1. You should read my canning post from a few years ago...looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete