Monday, August 1, 2011

Cascade Falls

On our honeymoon Brian and I tried to find these falls. I vaguely remembered where they were so we went on a trek to find them.... unfortunately there was about 10 feet of snow at the base of the road so.... we had good intentions of getting back there. That is of course, until we forgot all about them. Then my parents went to them and reminded us how beautiful they are. So we drove to Tahoe and then to Fallen Leaf Lake, and then to the falls. They were beautiful. We stayed for only a few short moments. I vow next time I come here I am going to pack a lunch and stay a while.
Still, it's pretty impressive that you can drive right to the falls.
Generally spring is the best time for them, but summer delivered this year. They are truly beautiful.
I have fond childhood memories of these falls. I remember coming here and picnicking and walking along the trails. If you drive a bit farther up there are big rocks that we have pictures next to from one of our first family reunions.
I wish I could say these falls will be cemented in Xiana's mind as a place of fun and beauty. Unfortunately, we kind of failed this trip. Brian was cranky, which in turn made me cranky. Instead of letting Xiana run free I had tight reins and impatient responses. It makes me wonder how many of my childhood memories could have been dampened, or depleted by impatient, overtired parents. I kinda think they weren't. At least I hope not. I hope that despite my bad days, Xiana is still capable of forming impressionable memories that include McDonalds, beautiful water, and a pleasant drive.
I hope when she looks back on these photos she says, "wasn't that fun?" or "isn't it beautiful?" Instead of, "man you guys were grumpy that day."
So, we will return to these falls... with picnic in tow... with bad moods left behind us, and help solidify the memories of her youth as pleasant, beautiful, family outings.
I will say... we were all impressed and enjoyed our moments in the shining sun with the sounds of the water crashing beside us.
Okay... most of us enjoyed the sun in our faces :)
This is a beautiful reminder to be positive and happy...and to remember that we get to decide how we act and how we feel.
Priceless...
The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment