Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Going and Going and Going

We had a pretty wild week after Christmas moving into the new year. Brian had family in town and my dear friend Deborah came out for the weekend. We went bowling... Ali played with the kids like crazy.
Xiana started to try to comprehend this new world of cousins and aunts and uncles. One morning I was explaining to her that Brian's siblings would be aunt so-and-so and uncle so-and-so and she said, "and uncle Brian!" To which I replied, "no, silly, he'll be daddy." She pondered this for a moment before responding, "what grandpa name gonna be?" I attempted to help her understand that grandpa's name would not be changing, but she didn't believe me. And this makes sense because in her experience, there is no explanation for grandpa aside from dad. She understands that grandma is my mom, because she has a mom. But grandpa kind of eludes her. When I call him dad she gets confused and I guess has determined that grandpa must be both that and dad. So when I tried to explain that Brian would be dad, it suddenly filled an already ascribed slot. Clever little girl. It's cute to see how her mind works.
She adores her new cousins... all of them!

We had a meeting of the parents for dinner (which went off splendidly if I do say so myself.... not that I had any doubts). The kids went wild. It's really fun for Xiana to now have cousins her age. My nieces and nephews are mostly older than her (not that she minds at all... in fact, she loves playing with the older girls and all her cousins are wonderful with her). Still, it has been fun for her to have kids her age to play with. It will be great to watch them all grow up together.

My dad and (it seriously just now occurred to me) father-in-law... crazy! The dinner was really nice and it was fun to have both sets of parents meet.
The girls had fun playing together as well. Xiana also does not quite understand the whole sister concept. When I tell her that Ekco is going to be her sister she gets mad and insists that she is Ekco, not sister. What a confusing world.... but a loving one! Still, the concept must have crept in a bit because every time Xiana eats now she always puts some aside and tells me, "I save this for Ekco." She has never done that before and she does it multiple times daily so she must at least grasp that Ecko is a special kind of relation to her.
Xiana continues to absorb everything and anything that anybody says. It only takes once. Ekco accidentally taught her, "guess what? chicken butt." after only saying it one time. At story time the librarian asked the kids (referring to the story) and guess what? Xiana bellowed, "chicken butt!" It was really hard not to laugh. One of my regular figures of speech is, "shut your mouth" as in, no way, I can't believe it. The other day Xiana was using her chicken nugget as a phone when I heard her say, "shut you mouth alicia!" It was also hysterical and hard not to laugh. I had a head ache one evening and announced, "I am going to take some ib profin." The next morning she asked me, "you're head hurt? You need profin?" Nothing gets past her! The other morning she exclaimed, "shooot! I forgot my bib!" Later when I was doing her hair I said, "we better get it wet to get rid of the fly aways. She thought for a moment and then said, "mommy, you tell me there flies in my hair?" One day the computer was going really slow and she quite seriously told me, "have to get a new puter." Last night after family home evening she insisted that EVERYBODY in the house had to say prayers with her.... but not out in the living room... we ALL had to come into her bedroom (including Garrett). She also insisted that Garrett participate in singing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" and in FHE prayer. She certainly has him wrapped around her little finger. He goes "shopping" with her all day and plays so sweetly with her. One of her new favorite past times is to get her purse (one of many) and go shopping. She often brings her shopping cart, or just her shopping baskets, or one of her strollers depending on if her babies are going to go with her. Then she kisses me goodbye and waves bye for a few and then gets groceries and brings them back home. As a result, there is food and dishes spread from one end of the house to the other at any given time. Another of her favorite games is to play on beds. At home she loves nothing more than to jump on grandma and grandpa's bed, and at Brian's we rarely leave without her convincing Brian to "play on mommy's bed." Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment