Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Wild Waters

Wild waters has not been a prolific figure in our summer as it has in summers of our past. However, this can be attributed to a certain little firecracker that has been added to our family. You see, he is fair skinned, and little, and doesn't love the wind/sun/water in his face the way another darker someone in our family does. So... we didn't get a season pass this year. I explained to Xiana that we would go at least twice and when we did we would stay all day. So, true to my word, this was the first of two times we will hit Wild Waters this summer. I had high hopes for Kolton getting in the water so I dressed him in this adorable swimsuit.
It never made it into the water, but he sure looked cute!
This was a very strange experience for me to just let Xiana roam free at a pool. In seasons past I have followed her every step of the way making sure she didn't fall, drown, or just get herself in trouble. Our first season of Wild Waters she needed assistance simply walking let alone riding the slides, our second season she still needed help on the slides for the beginning of the summer, but pretty much had it down by the end. I did, however, have to save her once as she went face down in the water like a little rag doll nearly scaring me to death. I dropped my phone and ran into the water that I had told her to wait for me before entering into... she failed to listen. Anyway, I grabbed her out and she spit out water choking and crying for about 2 seconds and then ran back in. Her lack of fear was disconcerting to say the very least. This year, she is older, more cautious, a tiny bit more fearful, and completely and utterly capable of navigating the kiddie side solo. She went up and down the slides all day. Her first few runs I asked friends to catch her at the bottom and make sure she could do it alone. She could. So, while I sat covered in shade, nursing, holding, and protecting my young boy, she climbed, slid, splashed, and played.
The only time I made it into the water the whole day Kolton slept... like this...
Then, when the winds picked up and my umbrella would no longer stay up, I took to covering Kolton and pretty much letting him sleep in my arms for the duration of the day.
It wasn't a super blast for me, but it was worth it because my girl had so much independent fun. She is so grown up. I don't realize how capable she is sometimes. I tried to keep my eye on her for the day because it is still scary when you're at a water park with a non-swimmer that thinks she's a swimmer. But she did great. She had so. much. fun. We stayed for 6 hours and she still cried when it was time to go.
They also added a sandbox this year which was a ton of fun. They put shades over it and many of the kids spent the day there. One of my friends commented that she was glad she paid so much money so her kids could play in a sandbox all day. My thoughts exactly. But, I will say it was significantly less nerve wracking to have Xiana playing in the sand than swimming in the pool. There was a great turnout to this playgroup so Xiana (and I) had so many friends to visit with. That made it so fun. I love to see the friendships forged as these little girls grow and learn and assert their independence.
Also, some of the young women from our ward were there and, since they love Xiana and she them, they took her under their wings for part of the day. It really brings to mind the whole village raising a child quote.
Mostly the kids took water from the pool and poured it in the sand... and vice versa. I wonder how long it will be before Wild Waters rethinks their decision to add sand.
Xiana has such cute, sweet, and fun friends. We are grateful to be a part of this ward where we all feel so included. Plus, her little friends are just that, little, just like she is!! It's really nice to have kids her age that don't tower over her. They're all small!

1 comment:

  1. Wild waters are known as Best Water Park, Theme Park, Amusement park in Hyderabad offers best rides to kids & family. We are one of the top water parks in south India
    http://wildwaters.in/

    ReplyDelete