Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Smiles!!!!

This is the first smile I captured on film but rest assured, this is not the first smile. Can I just say, I LOVE this stage. You know, the stage where they go from being a blob of baby to suddenly, and without warning, a real live person? I LOVE it. I feel like the first few weeks of mommy hood are so frightening. No matter how wonderful your baby is (and this one is perfect) you still get that anxiety, that fear, that heart pumping am I doing this wrong am I gonna make it through the night feeling.... at least I do. Kolton has slept perfectly every day since he was born and still, in those first few weeks I was petrified to breathe wrong, step wrong, stay up after he went to sleep, be too confident, be too hesitant, be too active... the list goes on and on. And then... one day, you wake up and there is a little man right in front of you. And he gazes right into your soul as if to say, "I know you. I remember you. I am here for you. I choose you. I love you." There is that magical moment when the corners of their little mouths turn up and there is an ever so slight twinkle in their eyes and you know you have arrived. They stretch and smile and look into your eyes and silently plead with you to be their everything, their all, their lively hood... for a very brief time. When Kolton reached this stage it melted my heart. Several times I cried as I was overcome with love and a sudden bonding with him. He looks at me and I think, 'here he is... all of him... he doesn't know it yet... I don't know it yet... but everything he is and everything he will become is right here in front of me. Smiling at me... gazing at me... loving me." And I feel like no matter what good I do in this world, no-one can deserve a moment like this. No one should ever be so blessed and yet, I am. It is truly magical. I dare someone to to look into the eyes of a smiling infant and not believe in God. That takes more faith than I could ever muster...
Okay so on a not so mushy note. At his two month check up Kolton weighed 10 lbs. 6 0z. I was delighted as breastfeeding is and always will be a complete leap of faith for me. He got his shots and only cried for a moment... but then was cranky and nauseous for the rest of the night. He slept that day and then still slept that night. At 2 months he sleeps a 6 hour stretch every night and 3 times has slept clear through till morning. He smiles a lot. He prefers the floor to your arms, but he wants to socialize. He prefers not to be held, but to be kept company. He pushes away my kisses which is so like his daddy I find it utterly endearing and plant extra kisses on him as a result. He still has reddish hair and blue eyes. He is looking rounder and plumper every day. He stretches like it's going out of style and he isn't a big fan of cold water (believe me I've tried repeatedly... though he is still pretty young to appreciate water parks and lakes). He is a well adjusted, pleasant, easy going, sweet little man.
And his family loves him.
And sometimes he falls asleep in his swing... and his head droops to the side :)

2 comments: