Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Kolton

  • Kolton has some pretty distinctive opinions about how his hair should look.  Because of his cal licks, it's a good thing he likes the mohawk.
  • This is the third split to the chin this kid has handled.... so far no stitches... although I'm pretty sure he couldn't used them ever time. 
  • We have been struggling a lot with getting along and helping Kolton to not come unglued. He is very stubborn and high strung and basically falls apart on the daily.  Brian asked me to speak in church on this talk Parents Prime Gospel Teachers of Their Children (read it, you won't regret it!) and also counseled with me about parenting. When things were so bad that I didn't know how we were going to make it, Brian gave him a blessing.  They both sobbed through it which is shocking to see a 4-yr-old so affected.  Afterwards Kolton hugged both of us and, still crying said, "that's the most I've ever felt the spirit before."  It was life changing.  Literally, life changing.  Then, I read this talk, and   I talked with Kolton about how I could help him, and he sobbed, "I really hate it when you yell at me." I agreed to work on yelling if he would work on listening and not throwing tantrums.  So far, it has been over a month and I have yelled twice. Let me tell you people, that is nothing short of a miracle that I didn't even think was possible. It is DIVINE INTERVENTION 100%! But the really miraculous thing is Kolton.  He is a new kid.  It has been incredibly humbling to discover that here I was worrying about what to do about him, when all along, I needed to change ME! He still falls apart from time to time, but WAY less frequently and for MUCH shorter duration.  Also, he continues to follow up with his blessing in his nightly prayers by asking for help "controlling my temperature (temper)." The whole experience has been educational and life shaping. 
  • He LOVES to be read to.
  • He still loves tv.
  • He loves camping and finding bullets.
  • His new obsession is painting wood... shields, swords, sticks, planks, you name it!
  • He is so tender beneath his TOUGH exterior, and we love him so very much!





No comments:

Post a Comment