Wednesday, October 28, 2009

To binky... or not to binky...

That is the question. For several months now I have been prepping Xiana for her birthday. In exchange for a swimming party, family and friends, birthday presents, and cake, she has to give her binkies to the babies. I have explained to her on a very regular basis that once she is 2, she is a big girl and will no longer need a binky like a baby. She definitely understood this concept, though I'm not convinced she was entirely on board. The day arrived and she was fine. For a long time now she has only had her binky in her bed and in the car. But in those places, she is hooked! Just like when I made her cry it out for the first time, I agonized about this decision. I felt so guilty taking such a comfort away from her. Like crying it out, it went far more smoothly than I feared. So far, the thought of changes has been far more excruciating than the execution. When I made her cry it out, I feared and fretted and was consumed with guilt and sadness. The first night she cried for an hour, slept till morning, and then never cried again. With her binky she asked for it the first night. I told her it was the baby's now. She cried for about 1 minute and then slept till morning. The next day in the car she whined for it for about 2 minutes and not since. So, silly mommy, give the girl a little credit and stop worrying about things that she is oh-so-capable-of. So, I now have a binky-free two-year-old. The only downfall is that she talks incessantly when we drive now making it impossible for me to listen to books on cd when she is in the car. I'll take it!

1 comment:

  1. She's such a good girl! Of course she can handle no binky! Go Xiana!

    ReplyDelete