Saturday, October 17, 2009

Apple Hill

One of my family traditions has always been to go to Apple Hill annually. We usually made a day of it ending with a delicious dinner in Penryn. This year we kept tradition alive and drove up on a Saturday. Boy how things had changed. Then again, some things never change:
Like in my childhood, we were SQUISHED into the back seat of mom's car. Dad drove like a maniac forcing Brian to take a nap in exchange for a vomit-free car. Mom nagged dad about how he was going to get us killed. We overindulged on donuts, apples, caramel, syrups, and cider. We got lost. We wore ourselves out so that the entire trip home was accompanied by cranky individuals desperately in need of some real sustenance... not sugar! And it was a memorable, enjoyable time! Still, I don't remember the petting zoo... but I guess I was young and it has been a long time.
Xiana loved feeding the mules though their mouths frightened her a bit
There is still a big fat pig at kids inc. just like I remember. Although I always thought there was more to do there. I guess the dirt (red dirt that I took a digger in) was more entertaining way back when.
It really is beautiful country; green trees as far as the eye can see.... oh yeah, and apple trees!
We ended up with a lot of delicious treats and learned that an empire apple (which I deemed my favorite) is a blend between Macintosh and Red delicious.
The fishing pond is etched into my memory as one of the best stops. I remember playing here with the Nances...old family friends.
Xiana and I would have driven this tractor for real... if they had left the seat!
Here we are at our first stop. The crowds have gotten overwhelming at Apple Hill. I do not remember it being quite so crowded as it is now. But hey, yay for capitalism~
We got back after dark and Xiana was extra tired from no nap so she went home with grandma and grandpa. Brian and I finished the night at Kacie's birthday party complete with an authentic attari (which is super rad dude).

1 comment:

  1. O how i love Apple Hill!!!! We took my girls there last year. This year we are in Washington state you know the Apple state.... ya except they DO NOT have a place here like Apple Hill..... Ya weird i have asked and researched and They don't have one!!!! K just a little jealous... Wish i was in Reno ♥

    ReplyDelete