Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Meat the butcher

When I was dating Brian, I had to really ask myself if I would be okay with him butchering an animal in my kitchen. My knee-jerk reaction was, "absolutely not!" Then, last year, he butchered his deer in his kitchen. I came over and hung out and discovered it didn't bother me all that much. So... this year, when he got his elk, needless to say I was cool with him taking care of his harvest in the dining room.
And in addition, *gasp* I discovered a sense of pride that I had not anticipated. I know it sounds strange, but for some reason, him taking care of the meat himself makes it that much better for me. Don't get me wrong, the gross factor certainly exists, but there's something so much more responsible, hands on, doing the right thing about it. I like that he doesn't just go out and shoot an animal and then be all, "cool, now someone else gets to do the dirty work. I had my fun!" I like that he actually uses ALL the meat and that we have a freezer full! I would like to say it's less expensive than the grocer, but let's get real, hunting is an expensive hobby. Still, I can say with certainty that it is hormone free, preservative free, disease free, and had quality of life prior to its demise. Unlike cattle and chickens that are raised solely for the slaughter, this animal got to run free and experience, (dare I say it?) joy. Taking hunter safety really changed my view on hunting. Most of all though, Brian's respect for the animal at all stages of its life is what has helped me to be totally fine with a butcher in my kitchen. So... meat the butcher: he is just under 6 feet tall, weighs (nevermind, the butcher would kill me), works at the city, tells stories to his little girls before they go to sleep, sleeps on his left side always because his right shoulder bugs him, is best friends with his siblings (after only his wife of course), is the least picky eater I have ever met, loves nothing more than to tease all he loves incessantly, and can fix, well, everything. He loves the gospel and is hard working, and I love him.
So much....
that I am now his assistant. And let me tell you... I make a mean hamburger!
Last night Brian fixed homemade spaghetti using tomatoes from our garden and burger from his elk. It was quite possibly the best thing I have ever tasted. It. was. scrumptious. It also had the added bonus of making me feel so good about the healthy things we are putting into our daughter's belly as she ate and ate and ate. Thanks babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment