Thursday, October 14, 2010

Life

There's this thing called life. Sometimes, you see it in the tiny flicker of a baby's eyelash; sometimes on the calloused hands of a teenage boy; sometimes in the creased corners of an elderly woman's mouth, just as her lips curl up into a smile. We witness life every day. We see it all around us; people laughing, crying, aching, rejoicing; people working, sleeping, fighting, making up; people typing, loving, hating, and giving. Sometimes, I take all those lives for granted. Sometimes, I forget how amazing this thing called life really is. Sometimes, I am ungrateful, feel picked on, angry, impatient. Sometimes, I forget.... how amazingly blessed I am with my life and the lives around me. Sometimes, people leave this life. And I am so comforted to know that they, in turn, enter a new life. One which will take imperfect me as well someday. One that was afforded by the blood of my eldest brother. One that, despite my irritability, has a place for me. I don't know why it's so easy to forget gratitude sometimes for me, but it is. I am going to try to be better. I look at the world around me, all that life, and I am reminded again how lucky I am. Sometimes I forget. I'm working on remembering.

2 comments: