Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wood Burning Stove

Because we don't have enough to do around the fixer-upper-house we bought, Brian and I decided it would be a lot of fun to go chop wood.... several times. Actually, we thought it would be a good investment to purchase a wood burning stove and use that as our source of heat for the winter. I do love the feel of a fire warmed house. While we were in the early planning stages, this sounded like the best idea ever. I could picture us in the winter all cozy, saving bundles of money on heating expenses. In addition to that poetic picture, Brian and I talked about what fun it would be to cut wood, hard work yes, but fun. We would make a day of it... pack a picnic and some hot chocolate and goof around in the mountains. Then, we woke for our first of many trips to cut wood and.... I was vomiting. Additionally, I felt as if I would pass out at any moment. I was sick as a dog. I laid on the couch for a while in the morning and then decided that I could go. I was feeling a little better and I was sure my sickness would wear off by the time we got up to to the hills. It didn't. So, my first experience cutting wood was, needless to say, a struggle. Our plan was that Brian would chainsaw down the trees and I would carry the lumber to the truck. I am proud of myself that I was able to do more than half of the carrying.... but my job of carrying it all definitely fell short. By the end of the day (it took about 3 hours and it was HOT) I was sitting in the dirt worried that I might not make it up again. But.... Xiana had a wonderful time. She's pretty much a dirt monger and loves all things messy.
I should have taken a picture of the BIG trees he cut down, but I was too sick :)
Don't be fooled by the smile on my face... I really felt awful.
Notice where Brian is standing... that is about half way from the trees to the truck.
Still, at the end of the day we left with this..... and it was an amazing feeling. Thank goodness Brian didn't have the same bug as me otherwise this trip would have been a failed attempt.
Our next wood cutting adventure started early... very early. Ecko was in town and we went to the balloon races (post later) at 5:00 am. Then we went to a baptism (which was amazing), a luncheon, and then headed up the mountain. By the time we arrived it was already 4 and we could not find any dead trees... none. We drove around for a good hour before striking it rich with a massive tree somebody had already cut down. Brian just had to cut it to pieces and I, doing all my part this time, lugged the logs to the truck. Ecko was the photographer and she did a Xiana photo shoot. She also entertained Xiana the entire time which was a huge help. They gathered a lot of pine cones, and I promised them an art project in the near future featuring pine cones.
She took some great shots!
This trip we had the truck and trailer, but because I felt so great this time around, it felt like half the work.
Again, don't be fooled by my positive attitude... it. was. hard. work. The log that Brian is holding in this picture I couldn't even lift.
In the end we left with a solid load... the girls helped tremendously.... we found tools on the road.... and it was, after all, fun! Plus, when we have minimal power bills, a cozy house, and the ambiance of a wood burning stove, we will feel more accomplished than we did as we drove back into town.

No comments:

Post a Comment