Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Shooting with Uncle Brian

Between bathroom humor and lots of guns, Brian is vying for the spot of favorite uncle. My oldest sister's three boys came to spend a week with my parents. They have been learning about guns and even taken hunter safety and so were excited to be able to go shooting with Brian. We made it a family affair with my dad, myself, and Xiana in tow. Brian was able to bring home about 20 cases of Gatorade milkshakes that were expired. They were perfect targets as they were in aluminum cans and exploded thick pink syrup all over the place. I don't know for sure, but I think the boys were impressed. Brandon, the oldest, was able to reload his own weapons repeatedly enabling him to get a lot of shooting in. Brian was happy about that as that is exactly what he hoped for. He figured he could demonstrate how to use each gun and then turn (at least Brandon) loose.



They all shot very well. Andrew hit his first target. When the cans got hit, they flew in the air squirting all over. It was perfect.
Connor needed a little help with some of the bigger guns, but he was a great shot with the pistols and prided himself on shooting them "fast."
I'm pretty sure I was the worst shot. I couldn't hit anything! But it was still fun!
Dad enjoyed himself too. I dare say he was as eager as the boys to get his hands on these guns (particularly the rifles).
All the boys (and Xiana).
Before we left Xiana asked, "daddy, can you bring a gun for me to shoot too?" How could Brian decline? After she shot she jumped up and down squealing, "did you see me hit those cans?!"
I have discovered that I like rifles the best. It's a rush to be able to look through the scope and watch as your target explodes (that is if you can hit your target).
Xiana did what she does best... played in the dirt.
Brian set up some big jugs of water at the top and then hit them with the big guns so that they would explode. It was thrilling.
Eventually the day sort of ran like a small militia in training... it's all good!
As much as I hate to admit it... it's awfully exhilarating to shoot....
This particular weapon injured both myself and dad. He got a cut above his eye and I got a bruise on my shoulder. Not to mention it isn't the easiest shooting laying down on the rocks and dirt.
Brian just brought a small selection of guns. Clearly he had no interest in impressing his nephews :)
Xiana is "a good shooter!!"
It was really nice to have the boys here. I didn't get to see them as much as I would have liked, but Xiana spent a lot of time with them because Brian and I were on our honeymoon. She particularly clung to Connor. He asked her repeatedly who was her favorite to which she exclaimed, "you!" I overheard a very hilarious conversation between the two of them that went like this: X: I'm the mommy and you're the daddy and this is our baby. The baby is crying... hold her! C: I'm not playing. X: yes, you have to play, you have to be the daddy. C: I am not the daddy! X: (yelling now) my baby needs a daddy!!!!! I laughed and laughed and when I was telling Brian the story he chuckled and said, "gee, I wonder where she got that from." I asked her if she remembered life before she met her daddy. She looked at me confused and said, "no." What a blessing that she will never remember a time that we weren't a complete family. Pretty special. For FHE we had a lesson on the Sacrament and the boys pretty much taught the lesson. They are so sharp! Brian and I weren't convinced that anything was getting through to Xiana but the following Sunday when they were passing the sacrament Xiana leaned to me and whispered, "they are passing the water. That's for the spirit."

No comments:

Post a Comment