Tuesday, September 7, 2010

She's a ham

I had to check an email for school so I left Xiana in front of Dora for a moment and came out to this.... jealous?
For family home evening a month and a half ago we sat down and made a list of our family goals and then talked about what we needed to do to reach them. Then we taped a calendar below and I got a bunch of stickers. If we do everything on our list, Xiana gets to put a sticker on each day. At the end of the week she gets a treat for having 7 stickers. What prompted this lesson was that for some reason Xiana was suddenly struggling with saying her own prayers. She constantly relied on us to prompt her even though we knew she was capable of doing it by herself. The stickers have changed everything. Now she says her own prayers and we read scriptures together every night. I feel like it makes her prayers more meaningful to determine for herself what she is thankful for. Additionally, it has fostered our family prayer encouraging dilligently pray as a family as well as individual prayers. Xiana has her heart set on stickers and prizes and the result is a more spiritually uplifting household. It rocks. I am so thankful for this phase in our life with her and her growing comprehension of the scriptures and testimony. Plus, I am thankful for the difference this sticker chart has made in my own life and my personal scripture study. I had no idea it would work so nicely. I recommend it to anyone.
I was going through her clothes and grabbing dresses out that she had never worn to give away. She got mad because she didn't want me to give them all away. I exclaimed that there were so many dresses she would never wear them all. My parents gave her this purple one and she cried, "not the purple one. It's my favorite!" That Sunday when I asked her what she wanted to wear she insisted on the very same. I was a little worried it wasn't dressy enough as it is, after all, made out of a t-shirt. In the end it looked sooo cute!
I also asked her how she wanted her hair done. She promptly replied, "criss cross piggies." No one can accuse her of not knowing her own mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment