Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Book group

Our new ward has a book group which makes me very happy. I had been looking for one, but it's hard to find the time to find one you actually like. So... needless to say I was thrilled to discover that my new ward came with a built in book group. First book up... 20 Miles From a Match. Turns out the book is fabulous. Even more fabulous is the fact that our fearless book group leader of the month has access to all the land that this book is written about. (It's about Sarah Olds, one of the early homesteaders and, I can't lie, a superwoman!) So we got to go see for ourselves where she almost drowned, where she brought her hand cart, family, and sick husband, where she worked, prayed, laughed, and cried. We got to walk through the neighbor's old house.... we just had to watch out for lots of mouse and bird poop.
It's down right remarkable to think that this beautiful home was built in the early 1900's. Makes you wonder how we haven't had some crazy architectural breakthrough in the last 100 years... I mean really, think i-pod.
I told you there was lots of poop.
then we parked and went on a mini hike to the foundation of Sarah's home. We picnicked in the trees and the shade and breeze were amazing. It was incredible to be able to read her words and feel her spirit, her strength, her drive.
Both as I read this book and as I sat in the very spot she sat, I pondered this notion of superwoman. She, indeed, was a superwoman. She had unfailing strength and health. She was dedicated to her husband and children. She was optimistic and brave. She never gave up. She was spiritual, trusting, and one of the most capable women I have ever read about. Then I started thinking about myself, and about other mothers and wives I know. It turns out, we all have a little bit of Wonderwoman in us. Each of us carry burdens, serve our families and others, try to maintain balance with a myriad of demands placed upon us every day. I think about her and I want to be more like her. I think about her and I realize.... I already am.

No comments:

Post a Comment