Wednesday, February 3, 2010

It smells like smoke in here

I recognize that my title will not be perceived as a positive condition... but rest assured, it is. Here is why: This semester I am teaching at TMCC. For the last 2 years I have taught at UNLV and UNR. I love teaching and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at the university level. At UNLV and UNR my composition classes consisted of 100% freshman ranging in age from 18-20. It was fun. Many (most) of my students were millennium scholars or their parents were paying for school. Many (most) were living in the dorms or on campus, living it up and experiencing their first "out-of-mom's-house-living-conditions." This is all good and fine. Like I said, I enjoyed myself and felt successful in my endeavors to teach composition. Still, it was a little discouraging knowing that statistically 1/3 of my entire student body would drop out by then end of their first year. Additionally, when the money ran out, 2/3 would not complete their college educations. I ignored these statistics and hoped for the best. At the end of each semester, it dawned on me that I was going to have to let go of yet another group of people I had grown to care about over the course of 16 weeks, and I accepted that as part of the job description (I still do). Suddenly, I find myself in a very different teaching situation.
My first day at TMCC was extremely intimidating as I was aware that my students were going to consist of a more diverse population. I was apprehensive about the fact that I would have students my age and much older. I knew that there would be many second and third career students, back to school parents, and overall a group of people with more experiences to bring to the table. I was also very excited. When I entered my first class, true to my expectations many adults stared back at me. In fact, I think there were only 3 of 28 that were 18-20 yrs. old. I was frightened. But... I pasted a smile on my face and began my intro/lecture. It didn't take very long for me to realize that I needn't have feared. Despite the diverse group of people staring back at me, I was still the expert. I was the one they would turn to for advice, knowledge, and skills. The beautiful part is that in return, I will receive knowledge, advice, and skills. They bring to the table something so amazing. Through their lives, experiences and struggles, they open new doors of communication and expertise. By the time I walked into my 3rd class I felt... home. And all three of my classes smelled of cigarette smoke. *disclaimer* I am not condoning smoking! But I know these people. Even though I no longer smoke, in a lot of ways, I still am these people. I went to TMCC for so long that I had to lose 50 credits because I had so exceeded the cap on transferable credits. But I didn't care. I loved TMCC. I loved the people, the experience, the intimate classes with teachers whom I felt genuinely cared about my success as a student. In short, smelling the smoke and standing in front of the room, I felt more comfortable than I have ever felt in a classroom before. And when I left... I felt more accomplished. I felt like they understood me, just as I understand them. They don't have any inkling about what it took for me to get to where I am. Yet they know it intimately because they are going through the same things. Over the course of the first 2 weeks of class I discovered most of my students are parents, primarily single parents. Many battled substance abuse problems. Many of my older students are utterly terrified about being back in school for the first time since 1982. I am ecstatic to inform them that their experience is truly not so different from that of their peers who just graduated high school. It's always intimidating to start something new. I myself am intimidated and I'm the teacher! But by far, hands down, the single most inspiring thing that I have discovered about my classes this semester is that ALL of them are making sacrifices to be here. They do not have scholarships; their school is not being paid for. I had one girl inform me that she couldn't give me her phone number because she couldn't afford one right now. I know that tuition expenses could afford her that luxury. But she chooses an education. They ALL value what they are doing in ways most freshman cannot yet understand. This is something they have had to work for; to make sacrifices for; and the outcome will be sweet. One girl told me that she always promised herself she would go back to school by the time she was 30. The first day of class was her 30th birthday. What a sense of accomplishment. I feel so privileged to witness their comebacks. To be a part of something so special. And after only 2 weeks of school, I feel like I have already taught them something. And that is truly rewarding (and it's a good thing because part time sure doesn't pay). After class yesterday I had an older student tell me that she had thought about more in the last 2 weeks than she had ever done in all her classes in her life. She additionally told me that she feels that if she had had an English teacher like me in her youth she would be a better writer *tear* I also overheard a girl telling one of her friends as she walked out the door, "I love my English class. My teacher is rad!" It feels so good to be here, where I feel so comfortable, where I started my own educational journey. To be somebody that can make a difference and to secretly know that I am just like the people that I teach. I sacrificed; I worked hard; I lost my way; I made huge mistakes; I fudged my way through class; I worked; I value!

1 comment:

  1. You're awesome, and I'm sure are a RAD teacher. :) Congrats on the success.

    ReplyDelete