Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Motorcyles and Mountains

While I recognize that this doesn't altogether look like the best idea I've ever had, I must admit, Xiana loved it! She is such a little dare devil and wanted to "ride the motorcycle again" and again. Brian is very careful and I'm pretty sure that these are the types of somethings that I may as well get used to. Additionally, could I deprive my sweet child of something I know first-hand to be so much fun?
They went for a spin around the neighborhood. While we were outside we witnessed the neighbor girls in their pjs heading out of the garage on 4-wheelers to meet up with boys on dirt bikes at the end of the street before they revved into the hills. I watched somewhat stunned as I was reminded again of why Brian is so fond of his small town upbringing. There is an element of freedom that simply does not exist in the cities. Show me a parent in L.A. that says, "have fun, be back by dark," to their ten-yr-olds as they wisk away on ATV's and I will show you a missing persons report. I found myself feeling slightly jealous (not jealous enough to pack up and go) but also quite grateful. I realize that Brian's custody arrangement isn't perfect. And to be honest, when we first started dating I didn't even know if the out-of-town-every-other-weekend-thing was going to work. Now I feel quite fortunate because going to Battle Mountain enables us to head out to the hills, ride motorcycles, and remember that the great outdoors still exists regardless of how invisible it is in our daily lives. Additionally, I think this is an amazing opportunity to prevent Xiana from being so city-fied that she can't appreciate a good camping trip.
And finally, because Xiana loves and adores her new big sister Ekco. No matter what the arrangement is, I'm grateful that she gets to have a big sister and that their relationship gets to develop in a place that is so soothing and provides an excellent glimpse into the childhood and life of their sweet father.
*disclaimer* this was strictly a posing shot.... I couldn't even turn the thing without Xiana on my lap!
Later we went out into the mountains and drove to where there is still a lot of snow. The entire time Brian was saying, "look for deer." I assured him that I was, in fact, looking for deer and that there were not, for a fact, any out there. He teased me a bit and claimed that of course there were deer out there. On the way back down he proceeded to point out 20-30 deer in the very sections of land I had insisted were vacant. I'm sure I will never see them the way that he does.... but maybe someday Xiana will!
There was a beautiful view from the top of this mountain. I love to drive around out here because it gives me an opportunity to hear so many fun stories from Brian's childhood. Every rock and corner contains sentiments from his life.
It was awfully cold... and awfully bright!

No comments:

Post a Comment