Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Zoo... for free

There is a miniature zoo outside of Reno that offers free zoo day the first Monday of the month. Because I am thrifty (okay just plain cheap) this prospect really appeals to me. My friend Kate was planning on going with her parents and kids and sil (sister-in-law). It just so happened that my mom was watching my brother and sil's kids this particular Monday so I convinced them to come along. It was also my other sil's birthday and she was, that very day, moving to Reno thus I asked if she and my bil and new little niece aka Xiana's bff wanted to join us too. Interestingly enough they already had plans in the works to peruse this little teeny tiny zoo so it was a party. And less you should think my mom was bribing this starving deer, let me assure you that there was a serious shortage of party favors resulting in improvisation. It. was. funny. And Ammon (nephew in the background) was not the only one laughing. And this creature chewed on my mom's shirt the entire time we were in the petting area.
Aunt Ali who is spending the summer here in Sparks. It is wonderful to have her here.... and Xiana LOVES her.
I always have to get at least one shot in to prove I too was in attendance.
Cousins! Xiana loves all her cousins dearly. A reoccurring question in her repertoire is, "are my cousins coming?" and "where are my cousins?" Sometimes she even lists them name by name asking where each individual cousin is which is no small feat considering she now has 22 cousins with one on the way.
We were so lucky we arrived at the lions and tigers right at feeding time. Xiana was utterly impressed with the whole chickens being thrown to the cats. She also, though flinching at the time, thought the lioness's roar was really special.
This was the liger's cage and that was really fun to explain to the kids. Ligers are absolutely beautiful and seemingly healthy though they cannot reproduce.
You can't tell from the picture, but the tiger on the right is missing its tail. The employees explained that the tiger used to be in a cage next to the lioness. One day, the tiger let its tail slip through the chain link fence. The lioness, possessive, jealous, and fearfully strong, kept it. The end. Amazing right?
"Yook at the baby goat mommy, can I feed it? Will it bite me?" The tiny little baby goats were the cutest things ever. However, their horns were extremely intimidating and after reading a bit about them, yes, they most certainly will bite and buck and gouge etc.
We had a great time cut short by million mile per hour winds. Still, for a free day at the zoo only 15 minutes out of town... I shall return.

No comments:

Post a Comment