Monday, March 29, 2010

Honest deductions

  • Xiana has reached a stage where she makes deductions based on prior knowledge. It is spectacular! Every morning when she wakes up she yells, "mommy" until I come get her out. And every night when she goes to bed she explains that in the morning she will yell mommy. One evening my parents were watching her and when my dad put her to bed she was explaining that she would call for me in the morning. My dad teasingly asked her if she was going to call for the kitty cat. "no," she scoffed, "kitty cat no have hands. And kitty can't don't talk."
  • She also came to the conclusion this week that, "I no yike boys!" I know I didn't teach her this, but she adamantly insists upon it. The first time she told me that she didn't like boys she quickly followed it with, "is daddy a boy?" "yes" "is grandpa a boy?" "yes" " is Garrett a boy?" "yes." I could see the musings in her mind just as she provided me with a disclaimer that she "yikes some boys."
  • Along those same lines, yesterday, at church there was a woman bearing her testimony and crying. Xiana asked, "why that girl sad?" I explained to her that the woman was feeling the spirit and it made her feel touched so she was crying (this is a conversation we have had repeatedly). The explanation seemed to stick until she said, "who the spirit?" I explained that the spirit was Heavenly Father and Jesus' way of helping us feel their love. She asked, "who Jesus?" and I said that he is our brother. "Me have a brother?!" she exclaimed... "I no yike boys. I want a baby sister!" Again, she provided a disclaimer, "but I like Jesus."
  • Her cousin was coming over to play so that the boys could go shooting for Brian's bachelor party and Xiana asked, "Kylee coming over to my house all by herself?" "yes" " her a big girl?" "yes" "her can drive herself?" Ohhh, I hadn't realized that she meant that Kylee was transporting herself. I explained that we don't drive until we are 16. She immediately proved me wrong evidencing her own driving in the mountains every time we go... can't argue with logic!
  • We got home after dark and I was showing her the moon before heading into the house. "Oooooo," she marveled, "we better find the cow!"
  • She confidently explained to me one day that her friend Leeya is not a baby anymore because "her can talk to me... her my friend, her not a baby!"
  • I told her not to climb on the tall bar stools and she asked, "why?" I told her she wasn't big enough and she could get hurt and bruise her head (which would be the 4th on her forehead for the day). She immediately said, "oh, I can climb it when I get older?"
  • Brian taught her that when she interrupts she needs to say excuse me... now when we are driving and having a conversation she sits in the back seat and says, "scuse me, scuse me, scuse me, scuse me" until you listen to what she has to say which is usually nothing, she just hates to be ignored... I wonder where she got that characteristic.
  • I had to take her to the doctor because she had an eye infection and this is what caused the entire nursing staff to be entertained with laughter for the duration of our stay... "Heyyy, there's my movie! I have this movie. Ohhh, there's a scary guy, but the crocodile a nice crocodile. He not scary. The frogs can talk in this movie. This my movie. Hey, that boy sit in my chair. Tell that boy to move out my chair. We at the doctor's office? why we here? I yike this movie." Then they called us into the the exam room. "hey, that girl have a puter like my puter. I have a little puter like your puter. Who that girl? what that girl wearing on her head? I have a stethoscope like your stethoscope. My stethoscope no fit on my head. I a doctor. You a doctor? where my movie go? what kind of waiting room? Where the doctor? who the nurse? I a big girl. I sit on the chair all by myself. Why there paper on that table? I don't want to lie down on that table. Me no sit on that chair. It hurt to lie down on that table? Why there paper there? Who that boy? him a doctor? that doctor scary. no, him nice. Why he put that light on. Him listen to my heart? me a doctor too...." and so on but I'm sure you get the point. She didn't stop talking for a split second the entire time we were there. The doctor was wonderful and the staff were thoroughly entertained. All in all I would say it was a successful trip to the doctor's office.
  • And finally... I'm not sure where she got this from, but lately when I put her to bed, or if daddy gets out of the car, or when we leave his house for the night, or pretty much at all farewells she states, "oh, I'll never see you again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment