Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Fun

Despite being sick (not the stomach flu for the first year which is cause for celebration) we still managed to squeeze in some fun events.  Our good friends who abandoned us for sunny California came home for Christmas, and we luckily got to see them the day we left for Battle Mountain.  They had a rainbow party, which is totally appropriate for Californians after all. Then, the day following our arrival to Battle Mountain, Debbie kindly got the stuff out for Kolton and Xiana to make graham cracker houses despite having already done it weeks before with the rest of her grand kids.  It was very sweet of her. She's great to give of herself endlessly to make the kids have an enjoyable time.  They were pretty thrilled with it.  That night, on Christmas Eve, we ate a wonderful home cooked Mexican meal at Brittany and Tim's. She and her mom cooked all day, and it was scrumptious.  Due to a nasty cold, it was harder to enjoy than it should have been. Santa Clause made another appearance, and Kolton wasn't shy in telling him, "scuse me, Santa, I want a helicopter."  Later he said to no one in particualar, "well Santa was pretty cool."  Funny kids!  They went to bed early sleeping in their own room and Brian and I slept in the same bed for only the second Christmas Eve since we met.  Although I spent much of the night wrapping presents, constantly fighting back tears because I missed my dad so much.  Christmas has a way of heightening the sense of loss to a degree that's almost unbearable.  It gave me intense compassion for the poor Sandy Hook parents who buried 20 7-year-olds days before Christmas.  I'm sure it was painful even now, a year later.  All in all, it was not the best day of my life. I hope that our children retained the magic of Christmas this year, despite sick parents and a depressed mom.  I doubt they noticed, so long as cousins and presents are involved... that's the stuff memories are made of after all.










No comments:

Post a Comment