Sunday, January 8, 2012

Service

I have to admit, I feel like I completely and utterly dropped the ball this Christmas with acts of service. Xiana is old enough now to appreciate the value of giving, particularly at the holidays. Next year I am going to be much better. This year, the only baking I did was for my visiting teachees, I didn't make cards, and we didn't do very much in the way of angel trees and such. Fortunately, my sister-in-law and mother-in-law arranged to have the cousins visit the elderly. Debbie backed like a machine creating goodie baskets for each of the 13 residents. Dawnette got all of their names so that the kids could make cards more personal. I'm so grateful to them for organizing this so that we didn't escape the season without feeling like we made someone else's day a little brighter.
Debbie got reindeer horns for all the kids and they were more adorable than words can say.
Especially this little Rudolf.
The kids sang four songs and then Ali and Larry did two beautiful and fun duets.
The residents were touched.  I think every person we spoke with commented on how wonderful it was to have children there.  They spoke of missing their grandchildren, children, and loved ones.  The kids handed out the baskets with the accompanying cards they made.  The residents gave kisses, held hands, and smiled from ear to ear.
One nurse, despite being cynical at our arrival, was touched and cried before we left. 
The kids did a wonderful job and it was so special to see how they understood that they had been influential on the spirit's of the elderly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment