Monday, May 23, 2011

Home Sweet Home

Despite the fact that I had a C-section and they typically want you to stay in the hospital for 3 nights... the doctor let me leave after 2. My doctor was off the day we were released so her colleague came and said that unless I said otherwise she would assume that I wanted to stay. I told her I wanted to leave and she said okay. There was one catch though... she didn't want my staples to come out until the next day which meant we had to take a trip back to Reno to get them removed. It was quite painful but.... every little bit was worth being home in my own bed. Brian continued to be a great help getting Kolton for me when he cried in the night. The strangest thing happened though.... he didn't get up very much in the night. He continues to be an excellent sleeper waking only once in the night. He has slept as many as 7 hours at one time. Usually he sleeps about 5 and then another 3. Instead of having a newborn it's like having a 5 month old! I feel like we can tackle just about anything if he continues to sleep this way. Sleep deprivation is the hardest part of newborns... apparently he didn't get the memo and for that I am grateful! Xiana had a cold so she was somewhat quarantined for the first week which was a little rough for her. We did let her hold him his first night home. In addition to being a great sleeper, he has a very sweet disposition. He rarely gets fussy or cries... unless he wants to nurse and mommy isn't cooperating. We just had his 2 week check up and he weighed 6lb 10 oz which is such a relief for me. It is such a leap of faith to breast feed. Even though he has had plenty of diapers it is still such a frightening thing not to know how much he is actually eating. I found myself reading nursing websites around the clock for the first week. But... no worries he is growing and doing great.
These little monkey jammies were picked out by big sissy Ekco and they fit him better than anything else... the little monkey!
I had to snap a shot when he did cry just for proof that he isn't always sleeping or eating.
He does have a proud papa!!! They are buddies already. All in all he fits pretty well in this family... almost like he was supposed to be with us ; )
Brian was able to get 9 weeks of paid leave from work... but I don't think he's gonna last that long. In fact, he is already talking about going back. The first week I didn't think I was ever going to heal and perhaps would never let him return to work. But... now it's been two weeks and I'm feeling pretty close to normal. I am a little sore still, but the human body is an amazing thing.
Especially when you consider those tiny little bodies... how right at the gate they just work. Their tiny little hearts beat, their tiny little joints and muscles bend and move. They are born with the instinct to root. They know right away what will keep them alive. It's remarkable. And the love that we instantly feel for them is pretty spectacular too.
Xiana had her little babies all wrapped up continuously. I guess she figured that if she couldn't touch the real baby she would replace him. She was very sweet caring for her little ones. The first week was pretty hard for her, but now she seems very well adjusted. When I had a conversation with her about what was hard she said that the hardest thing was not being able to kiss her brother... I agreed. But... finally her cold is gone and she can kiss him to her heart's content making the whole lot of us happier.
He is a sweet baby with a sweet face and a sweet body and a sweet little personality.
I can't believe how much Andersen he is... perhaps as he grows he will become more Frey. I really thought that my genes were dominant but the Andersen gene is strong.
This was his first excursion outdoors... you'd think in May it would be warm enough for us to hang outside... but you would be wrong. It was a stormy day on his birthday and hasn't been much nicer since.
Wait a second... this is backwards!
One thing I love the very most about newborns is kissing their sweet cheeks. I love how they root and as soon as you plant one on them they turn their faces for a full mouth opened kiss. I love how he looks at me, and looks around like everything is such a new experience... I guess because it is. I love how he trusts us implicitly. I love how his arms flail in the air. I love how he grunts and tries to escape the swaddle at night fighting his arms being tied down for about 20 minutes before he gives up realizing his arms are prisoners because the mean mommy knows how much trouble they can get him into. I love how he coos and gurgles and keeps his tiny little legs straight as a board the whole time he's nursing. I love how he doesn't like to be messed with and how his neck is already so strong. He is strong in general and is pretty successful at fighting diaper changes. I love his little fingers and toes and his perfectly shaped head, and his perfectly shaped ears. I love him.
I think we'll keep him....

No comments:

Post a Comment