Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Dining Room

I threw my back out (possibly working on the house, I'm not sure) so you'd think it would be a great time to catch up on my blog. Unfortunately, my computer chair is the single most painful chair for my back in the house. So... this will be short and sweet. This is what the dining room looked like when we bought the place. I have to admit, they put so much time effort and energy into marbleizing the blue walls it was somewhat disheartening painting over them. I had high hopes of keeping one wall blue, but it was simply not going to work. My mom came with me the first night. Brian was out of town, so she taped and I painted. I thought I could have the whole house done over the weekend. Apparently my painting radar was way off. A month later I finished the inside with the exception of one room.
You can't really tell from the pics, but there are blue tiles edging the room. I quite like them. Brian was not such a fan, but I think they are growing on him. Also, I think getting rid of all the blue elsewhere was a step in the direction of acceptance. The tiles are absolutely beautiful and we recently learned that the couple that put them in actually hand made each tile. I sure hope we never break one! Actually, there is a tiny unfinished part in the hallway that we are going to have to figure something out for.
One wall down, lots to go. Kacie and Alicia also came and helped the next night of this weekend and they were adamant that the blue wall had to go. I held on... for a few more days. I think at this stage in the game it was still kind of fun. Only later did I grow to despise the words paint, tape, primer, texture, and putty.
Wow, even looking through these photos taken just a few months ago feels like a different life. I can't believe how the place has transformed. I forgot what it was like those first few weeks trying to get the place and knowing how much work it was going to take (well, kind of knowing). This picture is someone elses house.
This picture is our home. Amazing how that happens.
New table, new frames, new bookshelves, new pictures. It is definitely ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment