Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Online Dating Part Deux...

So my wonderful friend Deborah came over to help me clean and pack last week. I showed her one of my future husbands and explained my frustrations about this whole online thing. Then I decided to take a gander at all the individuals who have looked at my profile. This is where part 2 begins. Whilst we were perusing the pages of guys who have looked at my profile and NOT sent a message, Deborah was gently encouraging me to send messages, not flirts. "Be bold," she told me, "what have you got to lose?" (by gently I mean slapping.. really slapping me on the arm yelling and getting so excited it was, I'll admit, contagious) So, I start sending messages. Again, what do I say? Well, Debbie has all kinds of great things to say. Pretty easy to be so bold when it IS NOT YOU! hehehe "This guy from Australia is perfect," she exclaims, " you have to send him a message!!!" Okay, what? what am I supposed to say to a man in Australia when I have no intentions of ever moving there. Let's keep looking and we will return to him at which point, I promise her, I will write a message. Then....instant messenger pops up. Hey, this guy is kinda cute. Nevermind that he lives in Utah and has not come up on any of my 200 mile radius searches. So, we start talking and, thanks to Debbie's gentle encouragement, even flirting with each other. Then, another window pops up, and another, and another...Man, these guys are coming out of the woodwork, I can't even keep them straight! But Deborah can. That's Travis, that's Josh.... so "who have I told what?" I ask her. I am having 3 of the most different conversations you could ever have on im. I'm about to be Josh's pool girl (or is it Travis?) and Benjamin and I are having a religious conversation. As crazy as it was, I have to admit it was fun. In addition to these ims, I also (again, by way of Debbie slapping and yelling) left like ten messages to guys. She even tried to convince me to leave a message for my didn't-respond-to-my-flirt-jerk-that-I-am-never-flirting-with-again-guy, but I drew the line. You gotta have standards right? I had not checked this site again for a while because I was busy with my move so yesterday I checked out my progress. 2 responses!!! That is it! So... I'm back to square one. Still, thanks Debbie for making it so much fun and letting me realize that if they don't like me or nothing comes of it, or they don't respond or whatever.... it doesn't matter because they don't know me. Also, thanks for a perfect day of dinner, temple, and frozen custard.... I miss you!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy to be keeping up with you via blogosphere! Good luck with the dating... You are quite a catch for some lucky guy. I hope all is well with you in Reno. I meant to bring you a card on your last day at church, but I suffer from momnesia, so of course I totally forgot until I was a block away. But I really do want to say thank you! You made it so easy for me to come to church and see a friendly face when I didn't know a soul there. It wasn't easy for me, but you really did help me with that. I do miss our mothers' room time. Good luck with everything and we'll catch up on the crazy www.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh. Two? These guys are DOOFUS'! Seriously, they do not know what they are missing. Don't give up. It WILL happen. I know it. IT WILL!

    ReplyDelete