Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Farewell

It's hard to believe that four years ago I was busily preparing emotionally and physically to leave Reno and head to sin city. Ironically, I was leaving in an effort to escape my crazy lifestyle, not to seek more fertile pastures of illicit fun. I know it sounds mental to GO to Las Vegas for a calmer life, but that is exactly what I was doing. I had been feeling lost and trapped and overwhelmed for quite some time and just really wanted a fresh start. I had ambitious goals of going back to church and mellowing out. Initially I was completely unsuccessful in my endeavors, but over time... a baby.... and the rest is history. It is interesting that I didn't really think it was the best idea to move to Las Vegas. In fact, on the contrary, I was pretty sure that I was making the wrong decision, but I didn't care. I felt suffocated, surrounded all the time but lonely too. I had to get out. So I did. I will never know whether moving to LV was the right or wrong decision, but I do know that it was the best decision I have ever made. Four years later I am back in Reno, a better person, a stronger person, a happier person. My motivations for leaving are as opposite as they could be from my first move. This time, I KNOW that it is time for me to be here. Because I have a close relationship with my Father in Heaven, I am utterly confident that this is the right place for me right now. Unfortunately, this time I did not feel suffocated. I did not want to leave my friends. I did not feel lost or lonely. This time, I simply did what was right for me right now and embraced the impact so many dear people have had on my own and Xiana's lives. Had it not been for all of my friends.... ALL of my friends, I would not be the person I am today. Right at the gate I was fortunate to make lasting friendships, rekindle friendships from home, and redefine who I am, was, and will be. I have seen my closest friends pack up and leave Las Vegas knowing that I would be following them shortly. While I was heart broken to see them go, I also knew it was the best thing for them and it enabled me to see that I had so many other friends right under my nose; friends that came out of the woodwork and meant and mean so very much to me. I feel completely spoiled to have been the lucky recipient of so many lasting and memorable relationships. I credit visiting teaching for creating many of these special unions. Other friendships were forged via walking in the mornings, playing at the park, or working at both House of Blues and UNLV. Wherever the seeds were planted, all flowers have bloomed. I want each and every one of you to know that you have directly impacted, influenced, comforted, uplifted, consoled, humored, taught, and loved me and Xiana. And for that I thank you all! I know it's totally cliche, but sometimes people really do leave footprints on your heart....and you are never the same. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Lenaya~ Your words inspire me. I wish I could write as powerfully as you. Congrats on finishing up school. And good job being such a wonderful mom. Good luck in Reno. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we miss you so much it hurts, but we couldn't be happier that you are happy! Kisses to you both. We love you lots.

    ReplyDelete