Friday, November 8, 2013

Rib Cookoff

Typically September is filled with canning, but this year the garden didn't do so well.  As a result, I only canned a dozen jars of tomatoes.  Most of my canning was pears.  Oh well.

The rib cook-off felt like it came quickly.  It was with heavy hearts that we considered attending. Garrett didn't think he could without dad.  I knew that I wanted to take my kids, but our hearts were broken thinking about attending Dad's favorite event of the year without him.  Dad typically went twice a day all five days of this event. I know this year will be filled with so many firsts.  Still, it was absolutely a tender mercy that my sweet uncle and aunt joined us.  They came all the way from Idaho just for the weekend.  I feel like dad's brother Wes, is the closest thing to him on this earth. His appearance, demeanor, and spirit so closely resemble dad's.  We had a wonderful time, and words can scarcely convey what a blessing it was to have them there. We stuffed ourselves on ribs, rode rides that almost made my kids sick, and finished off with giant snow cones.  It was also a blessing that Kelli was home in time.  I felt comforted by her return; I can only imagine what a relief it was for Garrett!
















No comments:

Post a Comment