Sunday, March 20, 2011

We have a closet!

I will admit... I had no idea what building a closet would entail. Lucky for me, Brian had it completely under control. I didn't understand what his plan was, but if I've learned anything whilst doing 10 million house projects in the last year, it's to trust that he will be able to make it work. He should have been a carpenter. First, the carpet had to be taken up. Then he had to scrape the ceiling. I didn't particularly understand either step. Why not just leave the popcorn ceiling? Why not just staple into the carpet? Well, apparently that is NOT how things are done.
I will also admit that I have been nesting like a maniac and I have had a significant amount of anxiety about my clothes being in the baby closet and nowhere for the baby clothes. Had I known that Brian would be able to just whip the closet out I might have had less stress for a few weeks (okay months).
Unfortunately there wasn't reinforced ceiling places (yeah, that is the correct terminology... okay okay, MY correct terminology, I can't quite remember what Brian called it, but I do have pregnesia!) So anyway, he had to climb into the tiny space referred to as an attic and put reinforcements up there in order to build the wall.
So he did and then he built the skeleton (again, my own terminology, but I swear that is what this step reminded me of... the skeleton of the house. It's hard to believe that all the walls in the house are built this way.)
Then he put up the dry wall.
Then he taped spackled and sanded the wall.... my contribution to these steps of the closet building was to was 15 loads of white dust covered laundry and dedicate 5 hours to cleaning the dust off of every surface in our entire room.
He did a few tape do-overs, but I think we can now safely call him an expert.
Then he textured his new wall (and yeah, and built one in the back where the old swamp cooler was). He truly is an expert texturer. I have painted 2000 square feet and he has textured close to as many....
Then my next contribution... I painted it.
Then he installed the guts of the closet, replaced the carpet and carpet pad...
Put in the shelves with only one hiccup.... we didn't consider walking into the shelves, but he worked it out.
Put up the kick boards...
And voila! We officially have a closet that fits ALL our clothes and shoes!
And it is awesome!!!! And it took him no time at all. Thanks babe!

2 comments:

  1. I just got to catch myself up on your blog life!

    Wish I could see you more often....maybe soon?

    By the way-your closet looks often. I love finished home projects!!!

    Jamee
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete