Sunday, December 19, 2010

Daddy's little girl

On December 14th Brian officially became Xiana's daddy. It was a tender day and an experience I'm not likely to forget. I told Brian that he was going to be a daddy again and he said, "yeah, twice in 6 months... with the same woman!" But, jokes aside, this truly was a remarkable occasion. We are so fortunate that dad is an attorney and was able (and willing) to do all the work for us. He said that not many grandpas get this special opportunity. And I'm sure he's right, not many grandpas do. We are very grateful to him and all his time, especially when he's sooo busy right now. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get the same judge as did the parental termination for us. She was so great and she commented on how she looked forward to meeting Xiana. I was looking forward to that when I found out we had a different judge. In the end, it worked out for the best as things usually do. Judge Keller was nothing but gracious and kind. Dad asked Brian some technical questions and then asked how he felt about this little girl. Brian said, "A few weeks ago I was explaining to Xiana what was going to happen today for the adoption and I said that I would be her daddy. She replied that I was already her daddy. Then I told her that she was going to be Xiana Lee Andersen and she said, 'but I'm already Xiana Lee Andersen.'" His voice choked as he continued, "I feel the same way as she does." Which sufficiently made me cry so that when it was my turn to speak I was at a loss for words. I did say that they loved each other and that he was all she knew or remembered of life and a daddy, which is true. It is yet another tender mercy of the Lord that she simply does not remember a time without him. We were looking at videos from when we lived in Vegas and she got so mad at me because I couldn't answer, "where is my daddy?!" She couldn't comprehend a time when he wasn't here. We got to the end of the hearing and the judge said, "I already signed the paper as soon as you began talking. Does anybody else want to say something? We are making a video for you guys to keep." Brian's brother Kevin came up and spoke of how he's watched us grow as a couple and a family and said that we were a welcome addition to the family. The whole experience was so sweet.
Even though you're not supposed to bring cameras in the courthouse, the judge took pictures for us.
And it meant so much that two of Brian's brothers and his sil and niece and nephew came to support us. It really was a red letter day.
A couple of days before the adoption Brian was teasing Xiana and I saying, "that's it, I'm leaving for good. I'm outta here!" Xiana laughingly replied, "you can't leave. You're my daddy. Daddies don't leave." It was hard not to get choked up as I thought of how wonderful it is that, thanks to Brian and his sweet relationship with her, she has no understanding of the fact that daddies do leave. In a world where she could know first hand that daddies leave, she is saved from that understanding until a later time when the context is not her own. I am so grateful to Brian for his love for me and for her and for this wonderful experience.
Early that morning Xiana came in my room and climbed into bed with me. I was explaining to her that part of why this adoption was so important was that in April we would be able to be sealed in the temple for time and all eternity to which she broke out in song. "Families can be together forever. It's heavenly Father's plan. I always want to be with my own family and the Lord has shown me how I can." Priceless.

2 comments:

  1. So I have only ever cried at like, 2 blog post before. This one was so wonderful, sweet, touching? I am not sure of the right word. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful! I am so happy for your little family! This made my night! Love you!

    ReplyDelete