Friday, August 13, 2010

Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity

Last semester I started having my students create a "final portfolio" which consists of revisions of final drafts of several of their papers. Then, on the last day of class in lieu of a final (which they are typically thrilled about) I have them present their revisions and their transformation as a writer through the course of the class. I have discovered this is my favorite day. As their professor, I can see the changes in their writing and, more importantly, their editing, but it is truly awe-inspiring to see them recognize their own transformations. This semester was a little intimidating for me as over half my class were professionals. I had more students ages 40-60 than any other demographic and they had come from 20-30 years in careers such as: engineers, paralegals, police officers, construction workers, architects, etc. Needless to say I felt a little overwhelmed. Yet, I just taught the same way I always teach. To my surprise, some of the activities that I do in the beginning of the semester that might seem a little amateur were some of the most well received lessons. Then, one student in particular who always seemed like he was bored, knew better than all of us, and was irritated that he had to be there said (in his presentation on the last day): "Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity." As I sat there stunned, he continued to explain how he had been rejecting mankind thinking that nobody had anything to offer him. He thought that he was the golden child and it was easier to just avoid people than to deal with their idiocy. Then, he said, he got his first paper back from me and it was a "humbling" experience. He relayed how through the course of the semester he, not only became a better writer, but he also discovered that the true person he was hiding from by being a hermit, was himself. He thanked his fellow classmates, and myself for helping him to spend time on self reflection and stop worrying so much about how he was better than everybody else, and start recognizing how much people, all people, have to offer. It was so awesome, and I was extremely proud! I know I say this all the time, but I can't think of any two greater jobs than teaching college and being a wife and mommy. I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment