Sunday, February 12, 2017

Kolton James

This little boy lost two teeth right after turning five!! Xiana took way longer!!

  • Right now he prides himself on being bigger than Xiana! (he weighs 50 lbs and she weighs 47).
  • He went to preschool at TMCC this semester after opting to wait another year for Kindergarten (the best choice we ever made). At preschool, every day when I picked him up, the teachers marveled at how smart he is! It's true, the kid is brilliant... and obstinate.  haha.   Some of the clever things he's said and done at school include: when they were making patterns, he ran out of space, so he made an intricate 3D pattern. His teachers said they'd never seen anything like it. One day they asked if anybody knew what an engineer did. He raised his hand and gave such a perfect explanation, they couldn't even duplicate it.  Suffice it to say, he knows more about engineers than I do.  One afternoon they were learning about fiction and non-fiction. He was trying to tell his teacher that most books are fiction, but she was insisting that there are lots of books the at true stories.  He said, "oh, like the scriptures are true stories! So they're non-fiction!"
  • After listening to Humpty Dumpty, he very seriously asked, how could they put an egg back together again?
  • While we were with family, one of his cousins asked, "who's your worst cousin?" I sucked in my breath, about to intervene saying we don't ask those kinds of questions, but before I could he said, "I don't have a worst cousin!" Then she asked who his best one was.  He said, "you!, and all my cousins!" I love that ideology... I told him that was a wonderful way to approach friends and life.
  • Although he is my most aggressive kid lacking impulse control to umpteenth degree, he also continues to be my most sensitive and introspective child. He cries when we watch Mormon Messages, they touch him so much. The most powerful one for him is an elderly man caring for his elderly sick wife.  Kolton cries and cries about how touching that is. He told me one day, "mom, when you talk nicely to me I feel the spirit and it makes me feel like crying." He's obsessed with the meanings of movies and songs.  One day, the radio was playing a song that said, "it's different for girls, when they get their hearts broke, they can't turn to a whiskey and coke." I wasn't even paying attention, but he asked, "mom, is that true? Is a heart break different for girls?" Clever kid.  After watching Zootopia, he said, "that taught me that even if you're tattooed from your head to your toes, you could still be a good person, and even if you're Mormon, you could still be a bad person!" In the middle of our Star Wars marathon, he said, "Isn't it amazing that Darth Vader still had enough light in him to save his son?" lol I hadn't noticed.  After watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory he said, "that gave me that family is the most important thing and that you should always tell the truth."
  • Brandon just got called to Mexico on his mission, so Kolton was playing with those beads that you melt and he made a green, white, and red heart and said, "I made this for Brandon cause it's the colors of the Mexican flag!"
  • While driving he asked me, "what is the most powerful thing on earth besides God??"  I have no idea, I told him. "I think it's water" he smartly replied.  



No comments:

Post a Comment