Monday, October 8, 2012

some clever title

       So..... remember last year when I begged you not to go all PETA on me?  Multiply that by a few and remember it for this post.  This is where I write all about my first big game hunt.  And by first... I really mean first.  Most hunters, by the time they are twelve, have accompanied their dads on approximately 67 hunts.  I have never witnessed a big game hunt ever before in my life.  As a result, the day went a little something like this:
         We woke before the sun, Brian gently nudging me eager with anticipation to take me on this first experience (okay, by gently nudge I mean yelled, "are you coming or not?! Wake up!").  We got dressed in our camouflage which I was told was non-negotiable, mandatory only to later find was optional.  Still, Brian got me this slimming camo outfit that actually has pink lining.  This makes me very happy.  I don't know why, but pink lining in the world of camo and hunting and creeping in the desert is exciting to me.  At any rate, we got dressed and went to the gas station to get some healthy, filling fuel for our hard days work (okay, maybe we got breakfast sandwiches and chimmichungas). Then we drove up on the hill.  I was cautiously eager and cautiously optimistic due to my complete and utter lack of experience.  Brian has taken me out practice shooting at targets, and I've done exceptionally.  But, there is a vast difference between a plate with a red bulls eye drawn in the center, and a live, moving, breathing animal.  Both Brian and his dad reassured me that antelope go down easy, but Brian's hunt the previous week did nothing to comfort my fear of missing or of injuring the animal (he had to hit his four times).  Because of my lack of experience, I didn't know if I was going to feel guilty, freak out, cry or what.  I rationalized that the only way I could find out was by trial.  Still, I was petrified of injuring an antelope, hearing it cry, seeing it distressed, and having to chase an injured, angry animal.  Brian insisted that we would come home with an antelope that first day.  I was not convinced.  It was nice, driving around, looking at nature, visiting with Brian.  It was really like a date (no kids or work for two full days).  Still, I crave the experience of camping out with the family and getting the full hunting experience (this will be in our future when we have older, less lunatic children).  We spotted a few, but they were far away, and Brian was positive we could find something closer to the road.  We drove all over creation in my mind.  Thankfully, Brian knows these mountains like the back of his hands.... scratch that, better than the back of his hands.  Brian spotted a heard across a ranch.  He jumped in the truck, floored it to the other side only to discover another truck had beat us there.  They were on top of the herd.  In hopes they hunters might push the herd back up the mountain, Brian and I went up farther.  Then, he saw them.  There were about 10 antelope a hundred yards away... ideal! So we snuck up on them, I laid on the ground and looked through the scope while Brian, through his binoculars said, "the one in the back is a female."  So, I put the scope on the farthest back animal.  She was not broad side so I was waiting for her to turn, or move to a better position when Brian said, "the two in the front, the one in the middle, the one second to last." and so on and so on and so on.  What did I the inexperienced hunter do? I bounced the scope, and as a result my rifle, from animal to animal to animal.  Waiting, always waiting to land on the one he wanted me to shoot when it was broadside.  Finally, the stars aligned and this happened.  Then, just as I was squeezing the trigger Brian said, "don't shoot."  Just in time for another animal to run directly behind the antelope I had set my sights on.  Then, the heard took off.  Brian said, "Geez babe, it doesn't get any better than that!  Let's go."  He insists he said it calmly, but I assure you.. he did not!  So I retorted, "well what did you want me to do? shoot it in the eye? I never got a shot!"  To which he responded that he could have shot any one of them.  To which I exploded with anger and frustration.  Then I learned a lesson in hunting.  When the person not hunting tells you what animal to shoot, they are indicating which is the correct gender for your tag. In other words, it's best to listen only until you get your sights on an animal.  Then you stay with it until you get a good shot.  Lesson learned.   We went back down the hill and hiked where he initially saw the big herd only to discover the two hunters had one down they were cleaning.  So, Brian told me he had a trick up his sleeve and knew of a good spot just up the way a bit.  He also said, "those guys are gonna still be dragging that antelope to their truck by the time we drop one, drive up to it, load it and head out."  He was right.  We went through a fence and up the mountain a bit.  Just then he spotted two females hanging out.  We got out quietly, crouched on the ground, went up to a spot we could see, then crawled on the ground.  It really felt like the movies.  Brian told me they were at 220 yards.  He didn't have to tell me which to shoot, and I knew that I didn't have to listen anyway:)  I laid down, looked in the scope, waited for the majestic creature to be in view, took a shot, and watched through the scope as she immediately hit the ground.  It was very exciting.  There are so many things that you have to think about when you target shoot, but they come quite naturally when you actually hunt.  I was very worried that I was going to feel guilty.  As a result, I almost think I talked myself out of it too much.  Brian said even after all this time he still feels a little guilty every time he harvests an animal.  I did not at first.  Then, I walked over to it and Brian got the truck and drove around to it.  When I first came upon her, the guilt set in.  I pushed it back as I admired her beauty.  I had never seen an antelope this close before, and it was very pretty.  I sat in quiet reverence for a moment, but then I started to panic because she was twitching which made me feel horrible.  I later learned that is a normal thing. Still, it was a rush of emotions.  Another thing I was nervous about was the eww factor of field dressing the animal (which Brian kindly did for me, not that I would have had a clue what to do without him).  It was gross, but it was good for me too because the second he started cleaning the animal up, it changed from an animal to meat.  Just like that.  Then I said we better use ever ounce of meat so that I don't feel guilty.  I intend to do so.  All in all, it was a pleasant, successful, first hunt.  It was great preparation for my upcoming mule deer that is supposed to be more challenging, but what's more, it was wonderful to share something that my husband loves so dearly.  I can't say that I love hunting, but I can say that I love hunting with him.  Also, I'm grateful that I get the experience to enjoy something so few people (women) can say they've tried.  And I get to learn from the best! 






The following day we took the kids and Brian's parents out for a beautiful drive.  We tried all kinds of relatively disgusting berries and had a wonderful time doing it!  We picnicked in a clearing and went for a little walk.  Kolton is pretty much obsessed with grandpa so he insisted on staying by his side.  Grandpa generously taught him to step in cow patties while saying, "eww."  It was the perfect end to a perfect weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment