Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Oregon

On the anniversary of dad's death, I simply couldn't stomach staying in Sparks, going to Victorian for the fireworks, and otherwise reliving that eventful day a year before.  So, I coerced mom to go with me, and we headed to Oregon to visit Larissa and spend the 4th of July together.  It was wonderful, albeit bittersweet.  It felt like we were close to dad in our togetherness.  Also, it was a blessing to be distracted. Poor Larissa was incredibly busy but managed to be a wonderful hostess nevertheless.  We went to the parade, made a slip n slide, played games, went to the park, and (the best thing ever) watched the fireworks from her balcony which was a stellar view. Kolton had a blast with Conner's undivided attention. They filled 1000 water balloons, the girls went on a walk and picked beautiful flowers for us accompanied by home made cards, we ate delicious food around the clock, and Argenta started sleeping through the night.  It was hard to come home, but we missed Brian. Poor mom really had to recover once we were home and reality sunk in that it really has been a year.  They say that's a big accomplishment... I believe it is.  Sometimes I worry that mom doesn't give herself enough credit.  As far as I'm concerned, just making it through all the first of everythings is a substantial feat.  It's still hard to believe.  I often find myself thinking I should call him... or forgetting that he's gone.  I'll think to myself, it's been a long time since I talked to dad.  Then I'll realize why. I am fairly sure mom never has that luxury.  I'm certain she doesn't have moments where she forgets.  I pray that some day she will. For now, we will consider ourselves accomplished in surviving the first year without our beloved. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment