Friday, February 10, 2012

Mama bear

For preschool we did H is for hat. The kids enjoyed putting all the stickers on their significations of royalty. We got the idea from a book from the library. I often find that while reading a library book I am suddenly given a great idea for pre-school. This group has worked out nicely. The kids are all learning social conventions, letters, numbers, and Xiana now knows how to write every letter in the alphabet, the days of the week, and has the pledge of allegiance memorized. It's amazing how proud a mama can be...I've been thinking about this lately... the pride of a mama. It appears that alongside that pride comes a sense of fierce defense. Like the mama bear, we will stop short of nothing to protect our little ones. In watching parents around me with kids older than mine, I find myself learning valuable lessons about when you have to step back and let your children learn, and when you have to step in and prevent them from getting hurt. It seems that when you prevent them from getting hurt by sidestepping natural (or unnatural) consequences, you are protecting them, but also preventing them from progress... from growth. Unfortunately, nothing is a slam dunk. There is no rule book for when to intervene and when to let sister punch it out...except that there is. If I can rely on the spirit to guide me and my parenting, then there is a rule book that is specific to each and every situation I might find myself, or my child in. I hope to be able to always say that I have a close enough relationship with my Saviour to rely on the spirit for guidance. I know that some days I fail... like yesterday when, while in time out for decorating the sink with my makeup Xiana thought it was a good idea to spit all over the wall she had her nosed pressed to... yes failure is a part of parenting. But I hope to find guidance, turn to the Lord instead of screaming at the top of my lungs. And I really hope that if I'm ever being that mom that fights too many battles for my little ones, intervenes too much, makes life too easy, is too much of a micro-manager... I really hope that Brian will be able to pull back my reins and help me to see the error of my ways. I understand why the institution of family and marriage is so very important in an ever changing society. I rely on Brian and the spirit, and in moments of weakness when I refuse to turn to the Lord, Brian does instead. I'm grateful for this knowledge. I'm also grateful to all the moms around me that give me great examples of what to do... and what not to do.

1 comment:

  1. ok those hats are so cute! And don't worry, I think you are a wonderful mom! (I chuckled a little at the makeup in the sink and the spit on the wall - I'm sorry)
    But I think you handle things great with Xiana - she is very sweet and a very good girl even if she has her stinker moments - all kids do. I love how you take advantage of "teaching moments" with her too - so great! Keep it up - motherhood is awesome, but definitely a challenge!

    ReplyDelete